The “Kit” for Industrial or Commercial Walking Foot Machines
Why you should spend $79.00 including shipping by priority mail for my maintenance kit for walking foot type of industrial sewing machines?….please specify machine when you order…since minor parts may be different
Answer: Because you will receive my 50+ years of experience and my kit is….
- to keep your machines (also your investment) running smoothly, satisfy your operators
- to assist you with the most common problems encountered when repairs are required, and principally to prevent repairs. Service calls are not always feasible if you are located in a remote area, or if you need the machine immediately for work. Even a few tips, may solve your problem.
- I provide you valuable basic repair tips, based on my experience, and from material taken from other sources, using text and pictures example: re-engaging clutch, timing
- to help you with the basics, the most common problems that occur
- I provide you with current pricing, parts may vary based on your location, and on how you order them, and help you to be knowledgeable in what to order. I advise you with telephone help for up to 10 minutes if asked for.
What is included in the kit:
- One spare check spring
- Tension plates
- Rear and front foot holding screw, there are two styles for the rear foot used to fasten the presser foot to the shank or bar. (Two variations for the rear) for total of 3 pieces
- Needle thread guide and holding screw. New style guide also available…The guide eventually develops a cut in the front while thread is coming down to the needle, and must be replaced, or it may cause thread fraying or breaking, especially for a change of thread
II) Instructions or advice for maintaining your machine, and a separate expertise section for assisting you to fix or repair your machine
III) Customization off parts and feet available for your machine…copy of pages 446, 447, 448 from generic catalog will be sent to you, allowing you to order appropriate feet for your needs
For additional parts, please email me at: Kerbes@earthlink.net prefer no phone calls
Disclaimer: the material in this kit is prepared “best effort” to the best of my knowledge.
I cannot provide a refund, as you understand, my expertise is or has been given out once you receive the information in this kit.
Conversion Kit for Single Needle Machines
Conversion of you Ind. Sewing Machine for heavier work via my Kit
by Ron Kerbes
Why you should buy my Conversion Kit:
Answer: You will get my expertise and experience over 50+ years, saving you time and money
A summary of what the kit for $75.00 including shipping by priority mail: Advice and or instruction for maintaining your machine, needle set screws, thicker, heavy duty needle plate, and feeder to match, for regular work and medium allowing for the sewing of thicker or heavier / denser materials / multiple layers. Also included in the kit are heavy needles #18 and #20, spare check spring, needle set screw, teflon foot when available
Part I, Maintaining your single needle machine
- Change needle set screw every 5-7 months, the tip of the screw becomes indented from being fastened (often with a fat or over sized handle screwdriver) against the very hard steel needle.
- Oil for the bath in the aluminum pan below, is only necessary if you are running at higher speeds such 1700 to 3000 rpm, so do not worry about it..If not, you may not need to keep up the oil level. Changing oil every 3-4 is sufficient. Only if the oil becomes thicker, like 30 weight car oil, will the pump have trouble in pumping the oil to the important moving parts. Again, at slow speeds, you will not wear out the machine. If you hand oil occasionally with a fine oil you will be ok.
- Thicker Needle plate with large .083 hole, if you are having trouble damaging plate is recommended
- Use Medium grade spare or replacement plate and feeder: #147150LG needle plate with larger hole in plate to minimize possible damage to plate, and feeder #149057
- Polyester soft material for wrapping around the neck of the machine, thread to pass underneath the band, prevents uneven stitching. After this band is applied, you will not need the upper thread guide (at top of machine). See picture
Part II, Converting your single machine to enable it to sew heavier materials, canvas, multiple layers for upholstery and or drapery work, or for leather, tarps, etc.
You must change the plate and feeder, to a medium grade, which does two things:
- The hole in the needle plate is larger, to accept thicker needles, and prevent the needle from striking the edge of the needle hole in the plate. When this happens, a burr can be created causing underneath looping, or outright thread breakage. Also you will be less likely to bend the plate at the needle entry area.
- The feeder that goes with this plate, has thicker teeth, which last longer and hold or grip the fabric far better, than the fine feeder
- Needles, heavy duty, size #18, two types of needles, style 16×257 and 135×7 Please specify the machine to obtain correct needle to fit machine, good for dense materials, and thick thread, comes with kit
- You must use a thin teflon foot: I recommend 1 piece of NT-18, comes with kit
- If you are in a hurry, and you temporarily use above 142061 needle plate, you may be able to pass by, for a while
Needle and thread advice:
- The needles you should use are size #16 and preferably #18. These are less likely to bend, especially with reverse sewing, and when there are rifts or nubs in the material.
If you are using nylon or polyester thread #92 or above, the #18 needle is better. Tension, turn knob for tension either one or two turns clockwise to tighten the upper thread. If you are using mono-filament, no tightening is necessary.
Important: To prevent whipping of the thread, or to say, to keep the thread flowing smoothly to needle, use a thread retainer, or if none available, filter the thread by passing over soft foam, or under a band of polyester material wrapped around the neck of the sewing head.
Disclaimer: I provide to you the information in this kit to the best of my knowledge with 50+ years of experience, on a “best effort” basis. I cannot refund you since my expertise is or will already have been given out to you.
If you have questions, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Prefer no phone calls